Every business should follow a quality management in their businesses that we can called TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT (TQM), It is a philosophy of continuously improving the quality of all the products and processes in response to continuous feedback for meeting the customer's requirements. TQM is a vision based, Customer Focused, prevention oriented, continuously improvement strategy based on scientific approach adopted by cost conscious people committed to satisfy the customers first time every time. It aims at managing an organization so that it excels in areas important to the customer.
The essential requirements for successful implementation are described as the six C’s of TQM.
1. Commitment: If a TQM culture is to be developed, total commitment must come from top management. It is not sufficient to delegate ‘quality’ issues to a single person. Quality expectations must be made clear by the top management, together with the support and training required for its achievement.
2. Culture: Training lies at the center of effecting a change in culture and attitudes. Negative perceptions must be changed to encourage individual contributions and to make ‘quality’ a normal part of everyone’s job.
3. Continuous improvement: TQM should be recognized as a ‘continuous process’. It is not a ‘one-time program’. There will always be room for improvement, however small it may be.
4. Co-operation: TQM visualizes Total Employee Involvement (TEI). Employee involvement and co-operation should be sought in the development of improvement strategies and associated performance measures.
5. Customer focus: The needs of external customers (in receipt of the final product or service) and also the internal customers (colleagues who receive and supply goods, services or information), should be the prime focus.
6. Control: Documentation, procedures and awareness of current best practice are essential if TQM implementations are to function appropriately. Unless control procedures are in place, improvements cannot be monitored and measured nor deficiencies corrected